Thursday, April 21, 2011

Life of talent, lack of skills


This is the most sewing that I do.  A needle and thread to put buttons back on my husbands shirts. Recently, I have been approached with two shirts that require more than just a needle and thread, but I am terrified to break out my sewing machine and give it a try.

As a child, I became involved in 4H and my "talent" was crafts and sewing. I sewed my own clothes and then modeled them. I'll admit, I became pretty savvy with a sewing machine, despite the 83-year old lady who insisted that I was doing it incorrectly before I even sewed a stitch! I still remember the smells of the building and the older ladies that were helping us. I remember the feel of the pedal and the sound of the sewing machine and how excited I became when I could finally sew quickly, efficiently, and correctly.

Fast forward. I head off for college and all of my sewing days are done. In December 2003, my mother-in-law bought me my first ever very own sewing machine. It's an amazing machine and I set to work, assuming I had retained my sewing talents, I set to work on a shower curtain. Not just any shower curtain, but a shower curtain with tabs. I also chose a plaid fabric. Oh, and the fabric was like sackcloth. Needless to say, it did not turn out well, but I hung it up anyway because it was a matter of pride. "It's supposed to look like that!"  As my husband of 4 months laughed every time he walked into the bathroom. Since then, I have not attempted to sew. I put the machine away and have not dug it out.

I think it's time to break free of my sewing fears and get back into the sewing business. I loved the stress-relief, the ability to get lost in my sewing and push the world aside for a while. Until that happens, we will all have excellently appointed buttons on our shirts.

1 comment:

  1. You can do it . . . I can't wait to see what you can make. I've heard of a cute cheap dress made out of pillowcases too.

    ReplyDelete